Bauplan: [Return] - ein neuer Trickdrachen

No Dacron only Bisonyl.

Cut the Strip of Bisonyl and the two parts of Velcro.

Sew the loops to the Bisonyl.

You can use double sided tape to stick the Bisonyl to the front of the sail. Make sure that the loops will be on the back of the sail if you fold the Bisonyl strip.

Next use double sided tape to stick the hooks to the back of the sail.

Remember to only sew now in the direction of the spine, so you can push the spine in between the Velcro and the Icarex of the sail.

I have not opend the kite Plan right now, but in some of Ulzburger's other Plans you will find a good drawing on how to sew, if it is missing in the Return Plan.

Auf der Suche nach einem King

Ok, one more! When measuring the standoffs, is the measurement between the sail and the spreader? Or the raw cut length? In other words, should I account for the thickness and depth of the fittings/end caps?

Yes it is the distance between sail and spreader. So you need to account for the material thickness. This is also a detail shown in later plans of Ulzburger.

Thanks! Does that also apply to the spine and upper leading edges -- do I need to account for the vinyl end cap thickness, or is that small enough that it doesn't matter?

Finally (honestly) -- it appears that the join in the upper and lower spreader on this kite will be exposed. Is that how most people build it, or do you push the join into the pockets so it is hidden? (I have some kites where the split is exposed and some where it is hidden, but wasn't sure if there was a strong reason either way, like keeping sand out of the joint, etc.)?

Thanks again! Here's my sail, all completed, unfortunately I didn't order all the APAs, so can't finish it until next week!

The end caps are neglectable.

I don't understand what you mean with join in the spreaders. Did you mean perhaps the leading edge? In this case the joint is hidden in the tunnels of the leading edge.

Whoops yes I meant leading edge. On the plan, it has the upper leading edge as 800-830 mm, which places the joint just above the lower APA, exposed by the cutout, so not hidden. Obviously it would be possible to move the joint -- I was curious if most people just follow the plan.

The lower rod of the leading edge is 625 mm long. The cut in the leading edge is at 595 mm. So 30 mm to spare. I think that I cut my lower LE to 650 mm and the upper to 800 mm accordingly.

Actually, one more question. I am finding that whenever I try to flare, the nose wants to rise up, and the kite just ends up with it's back facing me, lines under the trailing edges. I have been unable to get into a fade. At the same time, the kite seems to want to sit very very deep in the turtle -- so it is as if the nose has too much lift

Any suggestions on tuning the bridle or connections in some way to achieve better balance? This is the [Return] Std P200, built pretty much directly per plan.

This is a characteristic that all modern trick kites share. In the fade, don't let the nose go beyond the horizontal. This depends on many factors, but the Return is very moderate in handling. The deep turtle is also intended to make some tricks a little easier. If the bridle fits the specifications, I wouldn't change anything.

A wise man once said: "The problem is between the ears" ;)

Viele Grüße
    Enrico

Thanks. I probably need to find someone more experienced than me to fly it. I just wasn't sure if I have something wrong with my framing or balance or bridle.

The extraordinary quality of Birger's plans actually allows nearly no margin for (incorrect) interpretation. If you have done everything as described in the plan, then the return will fly exactly as Birger intended.

Nevertheless, it's always a good idea to fly with an experienced pilot. You simply learn things so much faster.

Viele Grüße
    Enrico

Here you will find good videos for training. The return is relatively easy to trick.

DPmama74
    In the bag: R-Sky NSE Aerostuff R-Sky NSE Gold R-Sky NSE LW Icone R-Sky NSE WW Icone R-Sky NSE 15 R-Sky Nirvana Collector #10 AS Kitehouse Sin Comp…
    youtube.com