Prism Synapse review?

Hello,

as I said in my first post, I am looking for a new foil, to use it in moderate wind (15-25 km/h).

I don't want a kite too fast, but I like to have decent pull.

What do you think about the Synapse 170? Especially compared to the Symphony Beach 1.8.

On these videos, it does not seem too bad:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Note that I don't care about the RTF lines, I already have my own sets.

Thank you!

Lycos 3.0 PS - Symphony Beach 1.3 & 2.2 - TomBoy

Hello,
    maybe you can take a look at www.lenkdrachenfliegen.de - there are a lot of 2line-kites like you're looking for. I hope you understand german at least a little bit.
    Dirk is also member of this forum (named sugarrunner) and he's testing 2linekites very often.

yours
    Stephan

Im Einsatz: Tinker Bee • Spiderkites Neon • Sigma Spirit 2.0 • HQ Symphony Speed 2.0 • Sigma Fun 2.0 Quad Mod • Spiderkites Smithi Pro • Cooper Nexxt One 150 • Spiderkites Mono 2.0 • HQ Alpha 2.5 • Revolution 1.5 EXP • Feine Drachen Basic • Korvo KQKs • Revopolo UL • Div. Vierleiner Eigenbauten • Restless 235 Eigenbau
    www.starkiter.de

I already watched every videos of Dirk, and translated the pages of his blog :)

I read that he (really) dislikes the Beach 1.8, while I do like the way it flies on his youtube review.
    On the other hand, he likes the Pro variant but also says that it can be very nervous and difficult to do "ground pass" (that I like to do!).

Unfortunately, he did not review the Synapse 170, only the 140 variant (that seems to be good).

ok - everything well done!
    Unfortunately I can't help you anymore...

I hope you find more help here (fingers crossed 8) )!

Stephan

Im Einsatz: Tinker Bee • Spiderkites Neon • Sigma Spirit 2.0 • HQ Symphony Speed 2.0 • Sigma Fun 2.0 Quad Mod • Spiderkites Smithi Pro • Cooper Nexxt One 150 • Spiderkites Mono 2.0 • HQ Alpha 2.5 • Revolution 1.5 EXP • Feine Drachen Basic • Korvo KQKs • Revopolo UL • Div. Vierleiner Eigenbauten • Restless 235 Eigenbau
    www.starkiter.de

As you haven't mentioned that you are specifically looking for a 2-line-kite:

Have you considered taking a look at 4-line-foilkites?
    Depending on model and size you might just find what you are looking for.
    (Not to mentioon the additional control which lets you land the kite precisely where you want it to.)

Depowerkites | 4-Leiner-Matten | HQ Hydra 3.5 | HQ Symphony Speed 2.0 | Spiderkites Lycos 1.6 LC | Elliot Dropkick | HQ Meteor | Spacekites Zodiac 2.5 | Spacekites Hot Stripe | Prism Ozone | KSF Antigrav 3.1 | HQ X-Celerator | KSF Positron | Spiderkites U.R.O. 65 | Mini-Master Explorer

Biete: Verschiedene 2-Leiner-Sets, neu

Several years ago, before buying my Lycos 3.0 PS, I looked at the 4-lines kites, but I must say that I am not a huge fan.
    Being able to stop the kite just ruins the game, from my point of view.

Being able to stop the kite just ruins the game, from my point of view.

Interesting point of view.
    Although I don't quite understand it as you don't have to stop the kite if you don't want to.
    But what's wrong with being able to land a kite right in the powerzone in stronger winds (and being able to keep it there) without the help of another person?
    Unless you have someone to help, it can be rather annoying to land a 2-line-foilkite at the edge of the window in stronger winds as it often gets blown towards the powerzone with a great potential to get launched again when you don't want it to.
    And if you don't like the much enhanced manoeuvrability of a 4-line-foilkite, you always have the choice of flying it in the air like a 2-liner by not actuating the lower brake lines. Still, you can use them for landing.

Of course it's up to you and your choice should always be based on personal preference.

I just wonder one thing:

I looked at the 4-lines kites

Have you ever actually flown one? Or did you really just look at them?
    If the latter is the case then I claim that you don't know what it is really like to fly one.
    My suggestion would be to find and meet other 4-line-flyers where you live in order to try a 4-line-foil without having to purchase one. This way you get to experience what it can be like and afterwards you have a better base for a well-founded purchase decision.

Just a recommendation. The rest is up to you. :)

Depowerkites | 4-Leiner-Matten | HQ Hydra 3.5 | HQ Symphony Speed 2.0 | Spiderkites Lycos 1.6 LC | Elliot Dropkick | HQ Meteor | Spacekites Zodiac 2.5 | Spacekites Hot Stripe | Prism Ozone | KSF Antigrav 3.1 | HQ X-Celerator | KSF Positron | Spiderkites U.R.O. 65 | Mini-Master Explorer

Hello holder,

for me, flying a kite/foil must be sort of a challenge. I need to stay focused, that's why I said that brake lines kill the game.

For almost the same reason, I do prefer my rc planes as my rc helicopters (well, actually it is more challenging to fly a heli than a plane, but you get the point ) .

And, for now, I never needed a second person to land my kite or foils, if I have a doubt I use a ground anchor. But I have never flown with strong wind (>30km/h).

I never needed a second person to land my kite or foils

So far, me neither. But in certain conditions, it can be very cumbersome to keep a 2-line-foil from relaunching.

But I have never flown with strong wind (>30km/h).

Flying in 50+ km/h, you might start changing your opinion about certain things. ;)

if I have a doubt I use a ground anchor

That's pretty much pointless with a 2-line foil.
    If both lines are attached to it, it can easily just launch (unless the kite is weighted to the ground).
    If only one line is attached it can start looping.
    And if there's not enough wind for it to do one of the above, then you don't need a groundstake anyway. ;)

Use of a groundstake makes sense when using 4-line-foils, 2- and 4-line-stuntkites (the ones with rods), and depowerkites.

for me, flying a kite/foil must be sort of a challenge. I need to stay focused,

That's absolutely fine.

But for some reason you seem to think that flying 4-line-kites are less of a challenge and don't require to stay as focused as with 2-liners. In my opinion this is a misconception.
    The reason whether it'll be a challenge or not has more to do with the speed, pull, and character of a kite.
    A bigger kite in more wind will give you challenge enough (provided you don't overdo it). Same goes for the speed of a kite.
    What I mean to say is that 2 lines don't necessarily give you more of a challenge than 4 lines. Or better: 4 lines don't give you less of challenge than 2-lines.
    Both can be a lot of fun. But you can do a lot more with a 4-line-foil in the long run, which means it won't get boring after some time (as quite a lot of flyers have experienced at some point in time) (
    And you could fly a 4-liner just like a 2-liner by not making use of the additional lines (unless you want to).
    The other way around is more difficult (=> not possible ;) ).

Don't get me wrong, I am not here to convince you. Just wanted to point out something that I feel you have a wrong perception of as you never seem to have flown a 4-line-foil before.

Anyway, you have something that you can take into consideration if you want to.
    If not, that's fine as well and I hope you find the kite that suits your needs. :)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Beholder ()

Don't get me wrong, I am not here to convince you.

Are you really sure? :D;)

What model do you have in mind that does not drag me on the beach and not too slow in a moderate wind? A converted Symphony 2.2?

Thats no bad idea :thumbup: .
    I' ve fixed breaklines at an Elliot Sigma Fun 2.0 and it flies much better because I can controle it much better. Easier to land and more precise to fly. But I can still 'let it go' like the 2-line-version.
    But you need a sewing machine an a little time... :rolleyes: .

Good luck!
    Stephan

www.starkiter.de

Are you really sure?

Yes.
    You can only convince yourself.
    And if you don't to have a look at 4-liners and buy a 2-liner straight away, that's ok. It's your decision. :)

What model do you have in mind that does not drag me on the beach and not too slow in a moderate wind? A converted Symphony 2.2?

Unless you have fun converting a 2-line-foil and really know what you are doing, my recommendation would be to get a 4-line-foil that was sold as such. :)
    Not knowing how strong you are and how much pull you want, I can not give a recommendation in size as this also depends on the model to a certain degree.

That's why I also recommended to meet with other flyers so you can test what they already have without having to purchase kites yourself.
    If you live close to Germany, you might be able to get in contact with people over this forum.

Have a look at the following kites:

Elliot Magma (allround)
    Elliot Lava (intermediate; not produced anymore)
    HQ Alpha (beginner)
    HQ Beamer (allround)
    Cooper Rookee (beginner)
    Cooper Nexxt One (allround-intermediate)
    Libre/Zebra Z1 (allround)
    Libre/Zebra Z2 (intermediate; not produced anymore)

Those are just a few models and I might very well have overlooked one or the other.
    From the above mentioned, I could only tell you about an Elliot Lava 2.2 (I own one) and a Coope Nexxt One 200 (very nice kite) which I was able to try out from another user in this forum.

(I intentionally left out high performance models, as they could be more of a challenge than you are looking for.)

Now the choice is yours. :)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Beholder ()

These are "power kites", with too much pull and too slow for my liking.

I watched several "4-lines" kites videos, again, and I still don't get it, it is like playing "Temple Run" with PAUSE, SLOW-DOWN and REWIND buttons ?( It makes no sense, for me.

I talked about the Symphony Pro 2.2 because it has the attachments to convert it to "4-lines", out of the box.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gruli ()

Not knowing what videos you have watched, I can't make a comment on what you have seen.

My suggestions were based on what you described in the first post of this thread:

How much pull you get really depends on the windspeed, the model, and the size of the kite.
    And as I have already said in my previous post, I don't know how strong you are and how much pull you want, therefore I can't give any recommendations regarding size.

If you want less pull, get a smaller kite. (Yes, it's that simple. ;) ).
    They are also faster.

A small Cooper Nexxt One would do.
    And if you still want something faster, then get a small Cooper Motor.

But seeing your reactions regarding 4-line-foils, you may in fact be better off with a 2-liner.

You have plenty of information now to make a decision and I've written more than enough.

Would be nice if you let us know, what kite you will acquire.

Bonne chance. :)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Beholder ()

There are not that much videos about small 4 lines foils (Cooper One 150, Rage 1.8, Alpha 1.5, HQ 2.2.4, ...). I think that I watched all of them on YT.

And I though that I already gave the necessary infos (Ok, some on my first post), I weigh about 75kg, fly mostly with a moderate force wind (15-25km/h), and don't want to be dragged on the beach (I already have my Lycos 3.0 for that!).

For now, my choice would be the Symphony Pro 2.2, because the 1.8 variant seems too nervous, and that it can be converted to 4 lines.
    Or a Lycos 2.0 PS, but the reviews are not all good.

And I though that I already gave the necessary infos (Ok, some on my first post), I weigh about 75kg, fly mostly with a moderate force wind (15-25km/h)

I was fully aware of that before replying for the first time.
    Still, knowing you weight does not tell me how strong you are and how much pull you exactly want.
    Because this...

but I like to have decent pull.

...is very relative and may vary from one person to another (even if both weigh around 75 kg).

That's the reason why I didn't suggest a specific size.
    Reading what you wrote in your last posts, I can just recommend to you to go for at least one size smaller.

That's all I have for you now. :)