Advice for Gierl/Steiff Roloplan construction

Hello

I am new to this forum. Unfortunately I can’t speak German, but hope that this won’t prevent me for posting queries, asking for advice and receiving feedback. I look forward to chatting!

I am interested in constructing – either a Gierl Roloplan or standard Steiff Roloplan (say the 200/2 Roloplan by Ralf Dietrich).

My first question: Is the Gierl Roloplan more stable than a "standard"/original Steiff Roloplan design because of the addition of ‘top sail’.

My next question concerns sail material. I have read that using Chikara cloth/Spinnaker/ ripstop nylon can cause flying problems. I would be grateful for any advice when using this type of material.

Finally I see that Florian Janich (http://www.drachenfliegerinnun…einleiner/gierl-sturm.htm) uses Flag fabric 110g /sqm. Is this better than ripstop because of the reduced pressure?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Best wishes from the UK

Simon

Hi Simon, welcome to the World of Roloplan!

I myself built Roloplans in a lot of different sizes and of different fabrics. Originally the Roloplan is a kite made of cotton. But I also made ones of ripstop and flag fabric. All of them are good flyers if you have the patience to work out a good bridle. The Gierl Roloplan is also a good flyer (I built these kites only in Ripstop so far). Which one is more stable? I would say, the Roloplan is.
    If you want to build a Roloplan out of cotton my advice is to use the "Werner Ahlgrimm" plans. The 200/2 is not an original Steiff size.
    The original sizes are 80/2, 90/2, 120/2, 150/2, 180/2, 210/2, 240/2, 270/2, 300/2, 330/2 and 360/2. And of course some of them were available as 180/3 and so on.
    I think, the 180/2 is a good one to start with.
    Try to find a kind of cotton about 100 to 130gr/squaremeter. And take rods of Ramin or bamboo.

If you are in need of plans let me know. I have some of them on my computer.

I hope you can understand my englisch - I'm a bit out of use. School is over since a long time

Immer eine frische Brise...
    ...Karsten

Hi Karsten

Thanks so much for your post and advice -- it is very much appreciated! I'm really sorry for taking such a long time to respond. Unfortunatley work has got in the way of more important things -- like Roloplans ;)

I will start doing some research for cotton fabric, based on what you have advised, and will also think more about the size and format to use. I have been to Rainer Kregovski's Web-site and found the plans for the sizes that you mention.

Incidentally, I already have a few metres of ripstop from a few years back that I haven't used. If I were to build an 'experimental' Gierl Roloplan using this material, are there any specific special techniques I shoud use or things that I should be aware of when using riptop instead of cotton. I ask because I have read that builders experience "flapping crashes" and fluttering... or is this related to the bridle?

... your English is excellent! Sadly I can't speak German at all...

Best regards

Simon

Hi Simon,
    so you've found the right and best Roloplan-plans. That ist fine. I wish you success findig the right materials.
    My advice when building a ripstop-Gierl is: have a look here in the Drachenforum. Using the "Suche"-function you will find a lot of pictures of Florian's " Bauplan-Gierl-Roloplan".
    If you want to reduce the sound and fluttering you should make a curve on the edges of th lower sail. My latest Gierl is a bit noisy so I will give him an other time under the sewing machine and Chance the edges. I would say a 3 to 5 cm curve would be okay. I will decide this under construction.
    To make the kite stabel you have to experiment a bit with the prestress (?) of the two horizontal spines. You have to prestress them with a line, not with a curve connector like the Roloplan. Usually IT helps if the lower sail has a bigger prestress than the upper sail.
    I hope my advices help - we are looking forward for some pictures...
    Best wishes - Karsten

...Karsten

Hello -- Karsten & Jens

Thanks for all of the help you are giving me -- it is much appreciated. Sadly I haven't made much progress as yet on my own kite as I am short on time, but will keep you posted as things progress. I have been studying the plan for the 180/2 on Rainer Kregovski's Web-site and may ask for some help in translating a couple of the terms used (to confirm that my understanding is correct).

I also now understand about the "curve connector" that you mention in your post -- I didn't realise that the Gierl-Roloplan is bowed under tension rather than using a fixed angled connector (150 deg).

Karsten -- your kite looks fabulous! When you have a spare moment, please a post a full photo of it so I can see it in its full glory! I have a long way to go before I am able to produce such a flying machine.

...in the meanwhile take care.

Best wishes form the UK

Simon

Hi Simon,
    nice to read from you again.

Here you can see a picture of the Gierl-Roloplan. I flew the kite at Fanö this June before I handed it to lovely friends. It was my part of a kite-deal. The colours have been fixed by my friends, the design was my idea.
    If you take a close look you can see the bowline on the lower sail.

Genki and Gierl-Roloplan (made by Fliegwerk - Karsten Wolf)

The Roloplan 180/2 is a good one to start with. If you need any advice I would be glad to help. The one on the picture below is one of mine. It is a replic of one sold on ebay two or three years ago - I couldn't afford to buy it - so I built it.

Roloplan 180,2 made by Fliegwerk - Karsten Wolf

I also could send you pictures of some details if needed. But the Ahlgrim-plans are very, very good and detailed. What you in fact not really need is the so called "Knopflochleiste". I think in one of the plans there is a photo of it. Only during short period Steiff made this thing. And if you got some experience with the bridle you don't need the Knopflochleiste at all.

And if all goes wrong (what I really don't think and hope) feel free to ask for a Roloplan made by myself. From time to time I build these marvelous kites for selling them.

So - good luck and success
    Best wishes
    Karsten

...Karsten

@SimonA

Hi Simon,
    great to have you with the German Drachenforum. Of course it is a little late for a warm welcome from my side, but be assured - your presence here is definitely appreciated. All the more as the well known 'ancient' anglophone kite forums seem to vanish more and more.

Back to business!
    Since you are from GB you should check the WWW for Alexander 'Alick' Pearson of London, who became kind of famous for his so-called 'Pearson Roller'. Here is a very interesting piece on Alick presented by Dan Leigh of Pontypool, Wales: Click! To my believes very few people know about this page.

For a plan in your mother tongue for another Roller kite see Karen George's plan, hosted by the Northern Kite Group (UK): Click! (pdf-file).

A thoroughly authored construction plan of the Pearson Roller comes from Thomas-Michael Rudolph, who even presents it in English language, too - CLICK!

Cheers,
    Karsten

Don't be puzzled - 'the_beowulf' and I have the same first name. ^^

'Single Sign On' ist keine Dating-Plattform! (Urheber unbekannt)
    Sinngemäß aus einem c't-Newsletter

Hi again!

'Single Sign On' ist keine Dating-Plattform! (Urheber unbekannt)
    Sinngemäß aus einem c't-Newsletter

www.toryu.de

"I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left ..."

Seasick Steve